Wednesday, November 20, 2013


Another Year Older

Yesterday, I celebrated my 56th birthday.  56.

I’m not the type of person who has ever worried about the number.  Not thrilled about it, but it is what it is.  Except when I turned 17.  For some reason, that was a hard change.  Guess because I couldn’t wait to be16, than all of a sudden, I was 17.  I remember looking in the mirror and thinking; “dang, it’s all down hill from here.”   How sad was I.

On my 40th birthday I spent the day answering questions like; “how are you doing with the big 4-0? “  Like it was the end of my life.  Folks thought I should be sad or upset.  Why I’m not sure.  Not like you turn 40, life is over so you put on your PJ’s and never leave the house again.

My 50th was no walk in the park either, at least for others. Heard all of the “over the hill” jokes, and more “are you ok?” then I care to mention.  Again, no big deal.

During a conversation yesterday, I remembered when I was that 17 year-old teenager looking in the mirror and I heard my parents in the bedroom above me having sex.  Ewwww.  I was so grossed out by those two old fogies having sex I momentarily stopped looking at myself.  They were 56.

Yes, there’s a big downsize to getting older.  Menopause. Your body changes – and not in a good way – no matter how much you up your workouts.  You begin to notice little aches and pains that weren’t there before.   When you get together with friends you start comparing medical records and the meds you’re taking, rather than current events and where you want to go on vacation.  And did I mention Menopause?

Of course on the up side, you don’t have to shave your legs and underarms as often because hair growth really slows down, or stops completely.  Hurray!  

And I finally get the joke about the old woman who goes to the hospital with a self-inflicted gunshot wound in her left knee.  The doctor asks what she was thinking, and she responds that she was trying to commit suicide by shooting herself in the heart.  The doctors says, "your heart is under your left breast.”  To which she responds; “I know”.

Think about it……

1 comment:

  1. That joke is gross, and I laughed hard. So excited to think about Mae and Pap Pap in the throws of lovemaking. This has been an all around great night.

    Kidding aside, good post and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete